Opti/BIC O'pen Skiff - Beginner Sailing
(Wednesday 4:00-6:00) (Sat 9:00-12:00)
September 18 - December 19)
Ages: 5 -13
Boat: Opti/BIC O'pen Skiff
The Optimist is the largest sailboat class in the world. This is the sailboat that nearly all of the greatest sailors in the world learn to sail. It is an 8' boat sailed by just one person.
The BIC O'pen Skiff designed specifically for juniors, has blown a big breath of fresh air through the sailing world, very fast and very simple. 100% open, self-bailing, rapid and responsive, the O'pen BIC offers kids a machine that delivers maximum fun while helping them learn the skills and reflexes to enjoy sailing.
You learn all the basics of sailing: wind direction, tying knots, sail trim, steering, bailing water out of the boat, rigging, de-rigging, teamwork, safety etc. The Course introduces the student to the sport of sailing, starting from the very basics.
- Those registering multiple students and/or sessions may select "Invoice Me" and enter payment information only once.
- Registration is not complete and spot(s) will not be held until payment is received in FULL.
- NOTE** Registration will be automatically canceled if payment is not received within 15 minutes of completing online registration.
- Non-members are welcome!
- Able to swim 50 yards and pass a swim test.
- Provide a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type III Personal Flotation Device (PFD) with a plastic whistle attached.
- Sailing gloves and sunglasses are recommended for all courses.
- Sailing boots or shoes that can get wet.
- Following all SCYC Sailing Covid19 Regulations and SCYC Galley-Club Regulations.
- This program is a graduated program. We recommend that each sailor go through the designed progression of the program, for each class of boat. Every child is different and our instructors will assess your child’s skill and comfort with the level at which he/she is sailing. Instructors may recommend that some students may need to repeat one of the classes if they have not successfully mastered each skill required in that class.
- Our program strives to create a fun and safe environment where kids can learn and come to love the sport of sailing. We emphasize the importance of teamwork, respect, and safety in daily lessons. Our number one goal is to pass on our passion for the sport to the next generation of St. Croix Sailors.
The SCYC Junior Sailing Scholarship Program is funded by the generous donations and contributions of SCYC members and the island community. Scholarship funds are limited and are awarded on a financial need basis.
Scholarship Application Link
For additional Information or any questions: