2020 SAILING PROGRAM
- Ages 13-25 (or approval of Waterfront Coordinator)
- The youth has to have participated in a sailing program
- Must be a proficient dinghy sailor
- Must be willing to commit to SCYC racing and regattas - a minimum of 2 days and possibly a practice day
- Safety - all youths assigned to a boat must sign a waiver in the same way as any other crew member, prior to racing. If the youth is under 18 years old, then the waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian
The goal of this program is to transition teens and young adults from dinghies to keelboat sailing and racing. This 2-sessions/week program will teach basic skills and teamwork on a Rhodes 19, including spinnakers. Each sailor will become competent in each position on the boat (driving, mast, jib and foredeck). It will also include racing rules, tactics and strategy. There will be practice racing including starts, mark roundings and spinnaker sets.
The goal is to have each sailor be competent to participate in SCYC Racing Events either by crewing or racing a keelboat with their own team.
- Those registering multiple students and/or sessions may select "Invoice Me" and enter payment information only once.
- Registration is not complete and spot(s) will not be held until payment is received in FULL.
- NOTE** Registration will be automatically canceled if payment is not received within 15 minutes of completing online registration.
- Must have 3 sailors for session to run.
Non-members are welcome!
- Must wear face covering/buff during time ashore at SCYC. Also must maintain 6' social distancing and follow all COVID19 protocols.
- Must have own PFD (not to be left at club)
- Must arrive dressed to sail and go directly to assigned boat.
- Parents must pickup sailor(s) promptly at end of class.
- If member parent(s) wish to remain at club after class with their children, parents are responsible to ensure COVID19 protocols are maintained by their children. (wearing PPE & 6' distancing)
- Able to swim 50 yards and pass a swim test.
- Own & wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type III Personal Flotation Device (PFD) with a plastic whistle attached.
- Sailing gloves and sunglasses are recommended for all courses.
- This program is a graduated program. We recommend that each sailor go through the designed progression of the program, for each class of boat. Every child is different and our instructors will assess your child’s skill and comfort with the level at which he/she is sailing. Instructors may recommend that some students may need to repeat one of the classes if they have not successfully mastered each skill required in that class.
- Our program strives to create a fun and safe environment where kids can learn and come to love the sport of sailing. We emphasize the importance of teamwork, respect, and safety in daily lessons. Our number one goal is to pass on our passion for the sport to the next generation of St. Croix Sailors.
COVID Protocols (link below) will be updated as needed:
SCYC Sailing - Covid19 Phase One Plan (1).pdf
For additional Information or any questions: