Small Boat Instructor Level 1 at St Croix Yacht Club
1/05/2021 - 1/06/2021
NOTE - To REGISTER: Open this file and follow the instructions
COURSE INFORMATION FROM US SAILING PAGE:
LEVEL 1 INSTRUCTOR
The US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification Course is designed to provide sailing instructors with information on how to teach more safely, effectively, and creatively.
The goal of the program is to produce highly qualified instructors, thereby reducing risk exposure for sailing programs. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.
COURSE STRUCTURE & PREREQUISITE SKILLS
The Level 1 course is divided into two sections. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification:
- An Online, 10-day, guided section. The total time commitment is approximately 10-12 hours. During this section candidates must complete video modules with assessment questions, online testing and attend multiple webinars. Instructor Trainers (ITs) will present material to Instructor Candidates (ICs) during some of the webinars, and ICs will be expected to present to the IT, and the rest of the class, during the other webinar. Here's a brief tutorial of how to gain access to your online course.
- An In-person, 2-day, evaluation. The total time commitment is approximately 18-20 hours. Students will be evaluated on their teaching ability, sailing skills, powerboat handling skills and on-water class management, among other topics.
After completing the online portion, students will need to complete a two-day, in-person section.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Students under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
PREREQUISITES FOR ENTRANCE INTO THE COURSE
Below are some of the primary prerequisites for the Level 1 Course. A full list is available during the registration process.
Sailing experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multihulls or day sailing keelboats.
Current US Sailing Individual, or Family Membership (youth membership is not applicable and only one instructor is allowed per family membership)
Experience operating a safety boat. This course is evaluative: Powerboat skills are tested, not taught, during this course.
Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without life jacket.
National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) Safe Boating certification. Candidates who do not hold a NASBLA approved Safe Boating Certificate will not be allowed to operate a powerboat during the course. Online courses that are not NASBLA approved will not be accepted. BoatUS is one provider of online courses. Click here to see all available Boat US courses. You can also earn your certification at one of US Sailing’s Safe Powerboat Handling Courses or see a current list of approved providers. Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master’s or OUPV license are exempt from this requirement.
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification also requires a current US First Aid and CPR Certificate from a U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
Registration is on a first pay basis. US Sailing will not reserve spots without full payment.
$370 if received more than four (4) weeks prior to course start date
$390 if received within four (4) weeks of course start date
$440 if received within one (1) week of course start date
Course fees are nonrefundable but are transferable to another course/date if the Training office is given enough notice, in writing:
- More than four weeks before the course start date: Fee is transferable to another course.
- Within the four week of course start date: ½ half of course fee is transferable to another course.
- Less than 24 hours notice of course start date (or no-show): 100% of the course fee is forfeited.
***All courses are subject to cancellation if course minimums are not met within 2 weeks of the course start date.
Fees are not transferable to another candidate.
For additional Information or any questions: